Wednesday, October 25, 2017

creating with a kid: exploring color

Color is a really big part of my own creative process and lately I've been encouraging Lucy to explore and experiment with it. Color can be used in so many different ways and one of the most profound is connecting emotions with color.  So today I've got a few color prompts that you can use with your kiddos (or for yourself) to encourage the exploration of color. NOTE: These prompts are not about creating anything representational but instead are about simply about playing with color on a surface.

MY PHILOSOPHY ON CREATING WITH KID
My long time readers know I've been making art with Lucy from day one. From riding on my back while I filmed online classes to letting her create with me in the studio, it's been a priority to share the art making process with my daughter. As I have mentioned in the past it is important for both my husband and I to incorporate Lucy into as many creative projects as possible. And while it makes no difference to us if Lucy grows up to be an artist, we do want her to be a creative thinker. I believe creativity and the ability to think in a creative way is one of the greatest gifts we can give our children and while I am always evolving as an artist and mom, I am learning so much as I watch her develop her own voice. 

1. Assign a word or an emotion to a color. Encourage your kiddo to work quickly and use whatever color pops into their head first when they hear that word or emotion. This process can train the brain to start connecting color with feeling.

2. Have your child randomly selected 2 colors. As they are painting, have them explain the feelings, ideas or reactions that they have to those colors.
2. Encourage your child think of a memory or an experience and then pick colors that represent that experience.

4. Turn on different songs and have your kiddo pick colors that are inspired by the music.

5. Get creative with those supplies! From brayers to spritzers to foam brushes to fingers and more- challenge your child to select tools and supplies that will help them express those emotions and color.

You can find more ideas and inspiration for creating with a kid HERE


SaveSave

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails