Tuesday, September 12, 2017

fresh new mural in the studio!


I've been busy preparing for my Petals and Paint Art Retreat in October and part of the process is painting a new mural in the studio. It's one of my traditions to paint a different mural for my each of my retreats that can be used as the backdrop for photos and a way to add a custom "vibe" to the studio space. As many of you know, I believe paint is one the easiest ways to transform a space and using that paint to create a bold statement wall is one of my favorite ways decorate! Here is a peek into my process-



I have two large moveable walls that each have a different mural or solid color on them. The first step was to paint over one of my old murals. 

Lucy helped me with this process. Our only goal was to cover everything up with lots of bright and messy color!

We let that first layer dry and a couple weeks later we invited our friends to the studio for a messy playdate! I let the girls add a second layer of paint- lots of marks, expressive brushstrokes, finger painting- basically, I asked them to make a big creative mess!

 
This was the BEST DAY EVER!

Then a couple weeks later, I started prepping for my layer of flowers. I started by adding large areas white paint over the top of the messy layers. My goal at this stage was to hold onto some of the color and marks in the background while adding white space that could be transformed into flowers.


Once those white areas were dry, I got busy painting my flowers. I like to start with black outlines of the flowers. For this process I always use a paint brush and Gold High Flow Acrylic paint in black.

Then I filled those flowers with color and lots of details and more black line work.

I love adding areas of black paint in between the flowers so that they pop even more! This process is really time consuming but it's the stage when things start to come to life! 

I continued to work my way across the surface painting flowers, adding details and even adding dots and marks to some of the space. 

The result is a BIG, BOLD and COLORFUL wall that will be the perfect backdrop for my upcoming retreat! 


Looking for a little more inspiration when it comes to using paint and creativity to transform a space?





3 comments:

ART: lovin' it! said...

Oh my goodness-I love the bold creativity and color you add to so many areas in your house and life! Thanks for sharing this post!

Suman Pandit said...

Oh WOW !!!! this is such a bold statement piece, amazing !!!

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

GAH...you're just so cool!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails