Tuesday, January 31, 2017

creating with a kid: scrunch paper


My long time readers know I've been making art with Lucy from day one. From riding on my back while I filmed online classes to letting her create with me in the studio, it's been a priority to share the art making process with my daughter. As I have mentioned in the past it is important for both my husband and I to incorporate Lucy into as many creative projects as possible. And while it makes no difference to us if Lucy grows up to be an artist, we do want her to be a creative thinker. I believe creativity and the ability to think in a creative way is one of the greatest gifts we can give our children and while I am always evolving as an artist and mama, I am learning so much as I watch her develop her own voice. 

I love finding projects that Lucy and I can both get excited about. I am finding that the older she gets, the more common creative interests we have! One thing I know from making art my entire life, is that often creativity is less about the finished product but more about the process. These days when I plan out art projects for Lucy I really try to come up with things that are are all about the process. 
One of my favorite techniques is something that I call "scrunching". Basically it consists of slopping lots of paint on paper, canvas or fabric and then scrunching it up into a little ball. When you open up that little ball, your surface will be filled with color that has blended and mixed together and it will also have a lot of texture within that color.

This process is super fun to do with kids because it feels like you are doing something that your shouldn't do- crumble up your art!



TIP: Canvas and fabric can withstand lots of paint and lots of scrunching. Paper is more fragile with this process because it can rip easily so you have be careful when unwrap your piece of paper.

The process is messy and the results are colorful which makes it perfect for kiddos and creatives of all ages!

Once that paper is dry, we like to use it in the pages of art journals, to draw or doodle on or for cutting and ripping in collage projects.


You can check out my entire series of "Creating With a Kid" posts HERE

3 comments:

Jane said...

What a joyful process for your sweet daughter. She must have such fun creating along side you. My little granddaughter is only 3 and she just adores getting inky with Nanna. Creativity is so important for a growing soul x

Mary said...

What a great process art project for kids and adults! It could be utilized in so many ways. I will definitely try it!

Anonymous said...

I love how Barbie is just hanging out with you two, wearing her own little painting apron.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails