Tuesday, February 15, 2011

i love puff paint

IMG_8010
It is no secret that I love dimensional paint (AKA puff paint or 3-D paint) and I use it in many of my craft projects. Gone are the days when puff paint can only be used to create tacky sweatshirts!! There are SO many ways to put this supply to use and lately I have been getting lots of questions about how to use it. So I thought I would put together a simple post dedicated to how diverse and fabulous this supply can be in art and craft projects.


IMG_8005
My favorite dimensional paints are all made by iLoveToCreate and there are a variety to choose from but my favorites are Scribbles Dimensional Fabric Paint and Tulip Fashion 3D Paint. They are easy to use, really affordable and can be incorporated into all kinds of projects.


IMG_7959
The best part about dimensional paint is that the applicator tips are tiny and the paint is nice and thick- which makes it really easy to create small dots, details and embellishments on different surfaces.


IMG_7960
You can use all those tiny dots and details to create a pattern- time consuming but SO worth it!


IMG_7962
You can draw and doodle with it- the tip is so small that it makes fine lines and details easy.


IMG_7969
You can combine colors to create a surface filled with visual interest.


IMG_7970
If you don't like the dimension (or puffy quality)


IMG_7972
you can lay another material (paper, fabric, paper towel) over the top of the wet dimensional paint


IMG_7974
and lightly press down.


IMG_7978
Pull apart and not only have you flattened "the puff" but you also have two surfaces to use in your projects. This is a great technique to use in fabric projects.


IMG_7985
You can use dimensional paint to add embellishments or dimensional elements to a drawing.


IMG_8012
You can even write with it!


IMG_8003
Since dimensional paint is typically made for fabric (even though I use it for EVERYTHING) you can easily add permanent embellishments to fiber surfaces.


IMG_7998
and even layer on top of painted or dyed patterns on fabric.


IMG_7989
One of my favorite techniques that I often teach in classes, is using it to create a splatter or scribbled look. (much cleaner that actually splattering paint!)

IMG_7991

IMG_7995
Often I will press another surface on top of this technique- its like a 2 for 1 deal!

IMG_7996



Here are a handful of some of my favorite projects that I have created with dimensional paint- just to give you an idea of how versatile it can be!
IMG_7575
my recent valentine card tutorial combined paper drawings and puff paint embellishments

IMG_2620
I used it to embellish some canvas sneakers for my Graffiti Chic part 2 online class.


IMG_5443
This embellished tank top project is one of my all time faves!


IMG_3717
Back in the fall I used dimensional paint on pumpkins- while this was not a "permanent" project with a long shelf life, they still were so BEAUTIFUL for a few weeks!

IMG_2050

IMG_4099
Last spring I embellished pinwheels.


IMG_4198
and for Easter I decorated little eggs.


IMG_3238
Recently I created an ENTIRE OUTFIT with puff paint for the iLovetoCreate booth at CHA- probably one of the most challenging things I have even created :)

Hopefully I've peaked your interest in using puff paint!


alisa-burke

31 comments:

miniwoelkchen said...

Hi from Germany,
thanks for this great lttle tutorial. andbI have to say that those pumpkins were amazing!
Your blog is so inspiring!
miniheju

Brittany said...

yes, definitely want to use more of the puff paint. :) it's marvelous stuff!

whyducks said...

Lovely work, love the squish idea, thanks for the ideas.

Donna said...

I love puff paint too Alisa! I'm just now starting to experiment with it, and I can tell that I'll be using it regularly! I loved the shoes in this post. I unexpectedly ended up hiking in a brand new pair of white canvas slip ons last summer. As a result, they're no longer white even after washing so I've been thinking perhaps some paint is in order. Your cool shoes confirmed it. They're quite an inspiration! Have a great day! D~~~~

Bonita Rose said...

alisa.... love this post.. I just bought a bunch of colors of this stuff, and am looking forward to creating with it in the coming weeks.... aaah puff paint.. I'm gonna love it... Love all you hv done with it... gorgeous!
I hv the ilovetocreate paints..may hv to look for the tulip slick paints!

is one better than the other in any way?

Mechelle said...

Thanks so much for sharing all the worderful things you can do with three dimensional paint. I love working with it!

martinealison said...

Très jolie publication... vous m'avez donné envie d'essayer... Bisous

mizdarlin said...

I'm ashamed of myself for ever thinking that 3D paints were tacky..after one look at those pumpkins, and the textured black overlays, I'm sold..I'll never look at it the same way again!
Thanks for the lesson in humility... :)

Erin Butson said...

Such great ideas! puff paint... who would have thought?!?!?

lilmissmarch said...

omg! i love puffy paint too! you are so creative!!

Prairie Jill said...

Ooh, this is so weird ... I was doing errands at Walmart this afternoon and wandered by the craft section. I saw some puffy paint and thought of some of your cool projects, so I bought some. And now I come home to find this post.
Can't wait to try it!

jgr said...

Awesome post! I have some dimensional paints and I love them but you have opened my eyes to using them in ways I've never thought of!! Thank you as always for your inspiration.

Hilde C. said...

Thank you for sharing some puff inspiration :-)

Kay said...

wow..awesome projects! Guess I am going to have to try this!

Joan Princing Art said...

AWESOME Motorcycle Jacket!! Absolutely LOVE it. Wonderful job as usual.
Have a fun day.
P.S. What a cool way to use puff paint...press it down between layers!! Great Idea.

Dee said...

how cool is that!! awesome project...so many possibilities..thanks for sharing!

aprilmariecole.blogspot.com said...

Thank you for sharing this...
3-D paint wonderful!

Michelle Frae Cummings said...

This post is the best! You have made me see my bucket of puffy paints in a new light! Thanks! :)

Virginia said...

Que pasada, realmente una pasada querida besistos virginia

jackie said...

Well you have almost convinced me; I'm sure I have some tucked away. I certainly like the splatters and the pumpkins were amazing.

HerminiaRegolf said...

You're a great artist!!!
Congratulations.

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

now that was an eye opener, had no idea puff paint was so, versatile.

Teleri said...

One small question.. I don't know wether I mean a different product, but isn't "puff" paint meant to be.. well, puffed up after drying? In germany we have paint for fabric that gets a fluffy plushy texture if you iron it from the back of the fabric. Is this dimensional paint the same? And how does it behave in the washing machine?

Ania ze Wzgórza said...

This is so amazing!!! HUgs :)

Marilyn said...

Thanks for the great suggestions. I have not worked much with puff paints, but you can bet I'll be at Michael's to grab some. I love the sneakers. They are an inexpensive art canvas.

Indigo Blue said...

You seem to be able to get the paint to flow really well. I often get going then all of a sudden it seems to have an air bubble and "spits" out a mass of paint all over the place. However, yo have given the idea to give it another go, lovely work.
x

Shorty said...

You certainly have peaked my interest! And, it's funny you mentioned sweatshirts... I have the fondest memories of my old sweatshirts with my name in puffy letters and little puffy dots strategically placed are it! I've wanted to makes something with puff paints but I didn't know what to try. I really appreciate all the inspiration you've shared!

Kellq said...

Love all your ideas for puff paint! I thought you'd like this, you can make your own. http://www.delawarecountymoms.com/2011/07/getting-crafty-with-nicole-homemade.html

Anonymous said...

Will it work on rocks?

Dark Phoenix Rises said...

I have to ask, how do you keep the paint from feeling "sticky", or "tacky"? I often use Scribbles, as well, to decorate ornaments, but unfortunately, they still feel sticky, and sometimes stick to things. Help!

Unknown said...

Beautiful work.... how do you get the puff paint to not remain tacky. Thank you

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails