Tuesday, February 08, 2011

homemade marshmallows

IMG_7319
Watch out world (and waistline) I have discovered homemade marshmallows! The recipe has been on my to do list for the last year but I was afraid it would be way too messy and difficult to make. Surprising it was really easy and despite a spilled bag of powdered sugar and marshmallow in my hair, it wasn't as messy as I expected! It think homemade marshmallows would make a perfect sweet treat for Valentines Day!


IMG_5415
The recipe I used was from the Barefoot Contessa (Ina Garten) but I tweaked it just a little by adding orange extract and dipping them in chocolate.

Ingredients-

3 packages unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting


IMG_5422
Start by combining the three packets of gelatin


IMG_5424
with 1/2 cup of cold water. Set aside and let sit.


IMG_5429
Combine 1 1/2 cups of sugar, 1 cup of corn syrup, 1/4 teaspoon of salt


IMG_5431
and 1/2 cup of water together in a sauce pan.


IMG_5434
Cook over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
Raise the heat to high and cook until the syrup reaches 244 F degrees on a candy thermometer.


IMG_5437
Pour the syrup into the gelatin mixture.


IMG_5442
Mix on high and whip until the mixture is thick.


IMG_5418
At this point I added about a teaspoon of orange extract


IMG_5441
and continued to whip a little bit longer.


IMG_5445
Next, grease a baking pan with vegetable oil


IMG_5446
and dust a heavy layer of powered sugar (don't spill the bag of powdered sugar!)
This will keep everything from sticking to the pan.


IMG_5448
Pour the marshmallow mixture into the pan

IMG_5451


IMG_5453
Sprinkle another layer of powdered sugar on top.


IMG_5133
Let it sit at room temperature over night.


IMG_5457
You can remove the entire sheet of marshmallow from the pan and place on a cutting board to cut it up OR you can cut from the pan like I did (I found it was less messy).


IMG_5460

IMG_5461
I used little candy liners for each of my marshmallows.


IMG_7317

IMG_5470
I used a heart cookie cutter to cut out heart shaped marshmallows and used kitchen scissors to clean up the shape.


IMG_7325

IMG_7322

IMG_7352
FYI- all the little scraps left over from cutting out the shapes can be used as little marshmallows for baking! Just package them up tuperware.

IMG_7353


IMG_7360
Add the large marshmallows to hot chocolate or a mocha.

IMG_7358
IMG_7332
Or even dip in chocolate! The combo of the orange flavored marshmallows and the chocolate is to DIE FOR!


IMG_7329

IMG_7343
Line up on a pretty tray and serve as Valentines Day treats or even package them up to give as gifts.


IMG_7339
Now that I know how easy and TOTALLY delicious it is to make your own, I don't know if I will ever buy marshmallows from the store again!


25 comments:

indie grrrl said...

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ellen Gradman said...

Awesome! Thanks for the great instructions! These have always been on my list also.

aprilmariecole.blogspot.com said...

Delightful!!
There is sweetness in the world... it just landed at your place. :]

Ami said...

Great idea, thanks for posting. I've read about them before, but they sounded too messy and difficult. So glad it's not!!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty said...

Oh my gosh, what a sweet idea!!! :) They are so beautiful!

Bo said...

definitely gona make them

Belle said...

You did an awesome job of making the marshmellows! I admire people who do stuff like this.

Tracy said...

That is to cute!! I cannot wait to make those for my kidos teachers. Great gift Idea for V-Day next week. Homemade marshmallows and hot chocolate mix in mug!!

cheryl.mccann said...

thanks so much for the recipe and the instructions - i may try this out sometime this week.

Ariadne said...

That's the last thing I would expect that it could be homemade!AriadnefromGreece!

OrangeFarmhouse / www.moodkids.nl said...

Did not know it was that simple. I just have to make them myself now too! Thanks!

2 Good Claymates said...

I make my own marshmallows ever Christmas as a tradition and they are so yummy! Love the orange extract idea though and will have to try that sometime!

Alexandra Rae said...

My mom and I made these for Christmas gifts (with hot chocolate!) and added peppermint extract and red "swirls" on the top. YUM!!

Createology said...

Success is making Ina's recipes and having them come out this beautiful and yummy looking. Happy February Hearts to you...

Selma Janina said...

this looks so lovely! I didn't know an recipe for Marshmallows! Its a try worth..on day! Thank you so much!
Follow! xXx lg

Anzouya said...

Looks so easy! Thanks for sharing!

JGG said...

holy moly - homemade marshmallows! They look great!

Janna said...

OH MY, these look truly delicious! You have some of the most wonderful recipes...my daughter and I have made the zapolle twice already.

pigwidget said...

Those ones half dipped in chocolate look especially lovely :)

SusanaChang said...

you are great! I will try and my girl will love it too!

SusanaChang said...

you are so great! I will try to make it!

Chelsea Van Tol said...

great, i shared this! :) http://papercakesfinds.blogspot.com/2011/02/daily-diy_09.html

Dori Patrick said...

Oooohh...yummy!!! And so beautiful! Especially fond of those dipped in chocolate!!

Lorraine said...

Homemade marshmallows are delicious. I make cinnamon ones using ground up red hots to replace about 1/2 of the sugar. Turns them a nice pink color and they're not really that hot but they're great for a Valentine's treat.

HarmlessColor said...

I am going to add a link to this on my blog because your steps are SO well documented. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails